Friday, February 6, 2015

Luke 8:11-15 Inductive Bible Study: Perseverance 2/2

Luke 8:11-15 says, "This is the meaning of the parable: The seed is the word of God. Those along the path are the ones who hear; and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not  believe and be saved. Those on the rocky ground are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away. The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life's worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature. But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop."

Romans 5:4-5 says, "Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance character; and character, hope."

James 1:2-4 says, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

Luke 8:11-15 is Jesus' explanation for the Parable of the Soils. The Sower sowed his seeds and they fell on all different types of ground: the path, the rocks, the thorns and the good soil. Jesus then explains that the seed is the Bible. Ok, so for what this means for us. I think that the common theme between the different people that Jesus describes that didn’t last in the faith is that they had no endurance. They had no perseverance in trials.

Some just didn't want to hear the Word at all. I think a lot of times people don't want to hear the truth because if they believe, it means they will have to make a change in their lives and they think that the life they have is good enough. My heart breaks for these because I so wish that I could share the hope and joy that I have in Christ and that it is so much more satisfying than anything the world has to offer me.

Some seem like they produce great fruit at first and they are excited about the Truth that they have found but as soon as life gets hard and temptation comes, they fall away. They might get scared and go back to the ways that they are used to. Oh, if they could just hold on! The joy they would find!

Some hear the Word but then get overwhelmed by life's worries. They are in love with money and worldly pleasures and aren't willing to give them up. Again, I am sad for these because if they just persevered, they would find such joy and peace in Jesus. Not an easy life; but still a life of love and fulfillment and purpose.

Then, some hear the Truth, with a noble and good heart, retain it and because they persevere, their lives bear fruit. It never says that they will have an easy life. That is not something the Bible ever promises. It says that they need to persevere which indicates that they will face trials. But the Bible gives us tools to face trials with. Promises and hope and purpose. So because they see these promises and the hope for a life better than the one they have and the God bigger than their problems, they persevere past the trials and temptation and their lives bear the fruit of it.

I know that there have been seasons in my life where I have been like each of the grounds. I don't want to be like that anymore. I don't want to pick up my dead man. I don't want to fall back on the habits of the world. I want to persevere through trials. I want to have joy in times of testing because I know that they make me progress in my faith and become closer to my Jesus. Even Jesus faced temptation(Matt. 4:1-11). I want to have the character that comes out of the perseverance in temptation and trials. I want to be who God wants me to be even when I'm by myself and I think no one will find out and that it's not a big deal if I give in to temptation this one time. I know and God knows and that's what matters.

Application:

I know that Romans 5:4-5 is true and that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance character; and character, hope.  I want to hold on through hard times and temptation so that my character will be more like Jesus. Today, I will memorize Romans 5:4-5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment