Friday, February 6, 2015

Revelation 1:9 Inductive Bible Study: Perseverance 2/5

Revelation 1:9 says, "I, John, both your brother and companion in the tribulation and kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was on the island that is called Patmos for the word of God and for the testimony of Jesus Christ."

Ok, let's just dive into this one. John was writing to the churches in Asia as their brother and companion in tribulation and in God's Kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ. He says in the tribulation. I think for Christians we automatically start thinking about the end time Tribulation that we talk about but Paul says in Acts 14:22  that as Christ Followers we will go through many tribulations before we enter God's kingdom. Then, John starts talking about how he was on the island of Patmos for the word of God and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. John was being imprisoned at Patmos for sharing the Gospel. But obviously that didn't stop him. He was still being used when he was in prison to share the testimony of Christ because he wrote the book of Revelation.

Ok so what does this have to do with perseverance and how does it relate to me? Well, John had to persevere a whole lot. Each phase of his life was a new set of trials. He went through a LOT of persecution for Jesus. He persevered a lot.

The things that I deal with as trials and temptation can't even compare to what John and the other disciples endured for Jesus. The amazing thing is that they didn't complain. Some of them asked for it to be taken away but in the end they were willing to do anything in God's will. I want to follow that example. I want to be so committed to Christ like He was committed to me. I want to be able to honestly say that I would go to the ends of the earth and even death to spread God's word to those who need to hear it. I think that death is probably not the hardest part to endure but the torture. When I die, I get to see Jesus. But while I'm still here on earth, pain is definitely not my favorite. But I love Jesus. I know that God loves me and created the universe and He wants everyone to know about Him. I have that truth and I know that it's my job as a Christ follower to share that truth with everyone that I can, no matter what that means for me. No matter what discomfort it brings. Ok so I don't know if I will die for my faith but I want to at least be willing.

Now let's look at this from a different angle. I know that being in a different country, I gave up a lot of material comfort that I was used to. They were dumb shallow things but still things that took small sacrifices like warm showers, favorite foods, sleeping in my own room and so on. It makes me feel pathetic even saying that. Seriously? John was boiled in oil and then when that didn't work he was imprisoned for the rest of his life on an island. Peter was imprisoned several times and then crucified upside down. Stephen was stoned. The list goes on. And really? I can even think of going to a new country, taking cold showers and eating new foods as a sacrifice??? Oh again, how I am faced with my selfishness… Ok well I know that I will face persecution. I will face trials and temptation. And John calls me a companion in the tribulation and kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ. That is comforting. God obviously gave him the amazing power that Paul talks about in Colossians 1:11. If John calls me his companion in this tribulation then that just further affirms that if I ask for it, I can have God's strength to persevere through anything He needs me to for His name.

Application:

I am going to pray for an emptying of self so that I will be able to willingly do whatever God asks me to for His name.

No comments:

Post a Comment