Sunday, February 22, 2015

Hebrews 13:17 Inductive Bible Study: Obedience 2/20

Hebrews 13:17 says, "Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account. Let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you."

Ok so as I look at the context of this verse, it looks like the author is talking about Christian leaders(13:7 says, "who have spoken the word of God to you.") so that's what I'm going to address. Throughout my life, I have been placed under amazing leaders and not so great leaders. These verses don't say, "Obey your leaders when you agree with them," or "when you like them," or "when you think they are right." Trust me, I wish it did. But, just as it is with parents, I think we are to obey those who have been placed in authority over us, as long as whatever they ask me to do is not going against God and His word.

It's one thing to obey when I am placed under the authority of people who obviously love God and agree with my beliefs. It's pretty easy when that is the situation. That's how it is right now. I am in a place where I am surrounded by a lot of amazing leaders who love God with all that they are and have given their lives to serving Him. They wouldn't ask me to do anything that they wouldn’t be willing to do themselves(for example, Miss Patti was showing me a job she needed me to do for servant time and she, while being fully dressed nicely for chapel, jumped right in to show me what to do, totally not caring if she got dirty or if her clothes got messed up). I know that they love God and that they love me and so it's pretty easy to obey them because I know that what they ask me to do is going to benefit me and others. I know that they wouldn't purposely ask me to do something that goes against what God wants for me. I know that it won't always be 100% easy to obey but I will know that what they have asked me to do is right.

It is a whole different story when I am not particularly fond of the people placed in authority over me and/or when we do not have the same beliefs. Even though they love God and want to do His will, we can still interpret the Bible differently. Also, I love God but I'm also human and I have a hard time loving everyone like I'm supposed to. So even then, I need to obey, as long as what I am being asked to do is not against God's word.

So whether I like it or not, I am to obey the authority in my life. I think the second part of this verse is very important. I don't want to give people grief when they tell me to do things. I need to be obedient and joyful. If I'm obedient but my response is disrespectful, that will grieve my leaders and will not profit me. It will only make things worse for me and them. This is yet another example of why I need to rejoice in the Lord always. Having a bad attitude messes things up for me, too and it makes people not want to deal with me.

Application:
Today, I will pray for obedience and that God will help me to be humble, submissive and joyful when I am given instructions, whether I  want to obey or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment