Saturday, January 31, 2015

1 Peter 1:22 Inductive Bible Study Devotional: Love 1/29

1 Peter 1:22 says, "Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently, with a pure heart."

I can't love someone sincerely on my own. Not with true agape love. If I try to love on my own, I will always be looking for what I can get out it. I will be counting the cost of the love. That’s not sincere. That’s not agape. That’s not the love that my Savior has for me and it's not the love that I'm supposed to have for others. Fake love is not sincere love. Sometimes I find myself falling in the trap of judging people without even thinking about it but to someone's face I pretend to love. That's not sincere. That's not even love.

When I obey the truth(the Bible) that God has given me through the Holy Spirit, my heart and soul are purified and I have the ability to love others with a sincere and passionate love that I can only have through Christ. I can't attain this type of love through my own actions and strength. This is a love only God can give.

Sincere agape love is hard because it can hurt. When you pour into others and don't count the cost of the love, you are going to get hurt eventually because we are humans and we hurt each other. Sometimes the people that we love so dearly make decisions that eventually end up hurting them and seeing them hurts you just like with Paul and the Corinthians(2 Corinthians 2:4). I made this point earlier in the week but God wouldn't ask me to do something that He hasn't first done. Christ knows the pain of love firsthand better than we ever could. Loving us caused him physical pain and torture and death. Loving us actually caused Him to have to be separated from His Father for a time in death.

I want to sincerely love out of a pure heart. I want to love without counting the cost. I want to fervently love like my Heavenly Father loves.

Application:

I want to make sure that I am sincerely loving and not just pretending. I will tape James 4:12 to my bed post so that I will remember to sincerely love my brothers and sisters and not judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment