Saturday, February 14, 2015

Hebrews 13:5 Inductive Bible Study: Contentment 2/11

Hebrews 13:5 says, "Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." So we may boldly say: "The Lord is my Helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?"

(The verse assigned to me was Hebrews 13:5 but I decided to add 6 as well.)

When I'm not focused on the things above, it's easy to get discontent. It's easy to focus on me. It's oh so easy to covet what others have. Even if it's their gifts or talents or testimonies or walks with God. That may seem silly but I find myself comparing my walk with other people's walks. It's easy to do. But when I get wrapped up in discontentment and wanting what I don't have, all I get is bitterness and frustration and negativity. Nothing good comes from it. It doesn't improve the situation. It doesn't fix it. It doesn't change it. It doesn't make me have other gifts or a different testimony or a closer walk with God. It pushes me even further from Him.

I need to focus on the fact that God has a perfect plan for my life. If I give it to Him, He is going to use the situation and struggle that I am facing right now to further His kingdom. And if I don't surrender it, He will find someone else to use. But His Will will be done, with or without me. I'd rather it be with me. I cannot change my circumstances. I cannot change what  I have or do not have. So what good does it do to be discontent anyways? It will just make me angry and bitter. My God is the God that provides all I need from day to day. He will NEVER leave me nor forsake me. He is my Helper. I will NOT fear. Man cannot do anything to me that God cannot protect me from. I can say that boldly.

No matter what I have or do not have, whatever situation I am going through, I am told to be content. I am not to focus on the things in front of me anyways but on the Kingdom of God and His righteousness. I am told rejoice in the Lord always. I will rejoice. I will be content.

Application:
Today, I will memorize Hebrews 13:5-6 and hang them up in my room so that I can remember that I don't even have a reason to be discontent or to covet because my God never leaves me and He is my Helper. I will always have everything that I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment