Saturday, February 14, 2015

1 Timothy 6:6-8 Inductive Bible Study: Contentment 2/9

1 Timothy 6:6-8 says, "Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content."

Matthew 6:19 says, "But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Matthew 6:26 says, "Look at the birds of the air for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your Heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?"

Matthew 16:26 says, "For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?"

I have realized that I can be discontent with God's plans for me. I want what I want, when I want it. I can be overwhelmed with what is going on and just want it to go away. I want God to change His plans. I would like to tell God my plans for life. I would like to let Him know that He must not know what He's doing. I just can't handle what He's doing with me. It's too much. I am unworthy, I don't deserve it. I would rather hold onto my old ways and just do my worldly things and hang onto my plans. So, thanks, God, for having that cool plan and all but that is just a lot. I'm good but, I'm gonna go to Tarshish instead. Ninevah seems way too overwhelming.

Ok, so as ridiculous as that sounds, sometimes that how I subconsciously feel. God is obviously starting a good work in my life that I don't even understand right now as it's happening. I am so undeserving but He has chosen me. All I have to do is die to myself and follow Him. It can be hard but it is way worth it. But the part of me that has to die doesn't so much like the dying part. It thinks that losing it's soul is worth it for the price of the world but furthering the Kingdom and spending eternity in heaven praising God is so much more worth it.

I came into this world with nothing and I am leaving this world with nothing. The only way I can have anything after I die is if I store up my treasures in heaven. If my treasure is invested in the world that's where my heart will be. God takes care of birds that can't take care of themselves long term. Why can't I trust Him to take care of me? Why can't I trust His plans? It really does me no good to become the most successful person in the whole world if I had to trade my soul for it. I want to be completely content with Christ. He sacrificed His life for me. Even though I am a sinner, He looked at me and still decided that He loved me enough to die for me. He didn't want me to be separated from the Father. He wanted me to have full access to God and to spend eternity in Heaven with Him. He has an amazing plan for my life. It won't always seem amazing. Sometimes it will hurt. Sometimes it will look really hard. But He will provide exactly what I need and I need to trust that and be content with exactly what I have.

Application:
Today, I will memorize Matthew 6:19.

No comments:

Post a Comment