Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Updated Blog April 2015

So I'm in the airport right now traveling back to the States for my 10 day break before I start my field time in Guatemala. I currently have a 5 hour layover so I thought I would use some of this time to let you know how the last 3 months have been and what I will be doing when I go back to Guatemala.

God has used these last 3 months to radically transform me into a completely different person. When I first arrived in Guatemala, I was insincere, hard-hearted and really just thought that there was no way God even wanted to use me. I felt irredeemable and empty. Within the first few weeks, a genuine desire for God was growing in my heart but my past was getting in the way. I felt like I couldn't talk to God; like He didn't actually want to hear from me. And then all of a sudden it was like His Word started breaking through my hard heart. I realized that I didn't have to be held captive to my sin anymore. I asked God for forgiveness and was set free. When I had doubts, His sweet voice would remind me that whom the Son sets free is free indeed. Sometimes I still had a hard time forgiving myself but I realized that if God had forgotten about it, what right did I have to bring it up?

Besides freeing me from the bondage of sin that I had put myself in, God gave me an amazing family. He brought eleven young adults and a family of five, all with vastly different backgrounds and personalities, together to Guatemala to become a family in His name. As we grow closer to God, we have grown closer to each other. Every week, we have a Potter’s Field Kid’s Club, where a bunch of sweet kids from all over Antigua come to play together, eat lunch, sing songs and hear about the love of Jesus. I have fallen so deeply in love with these kids. We have learned so much through the variety of classes that we have been taking every day. I’ve learned about how to better defend my faith, share the Gospel, be a humble servant, and so many more important lessons. Yesterday was a hard day as I said goodbye to half of my new family for six months as they leave to pursue God's plan for them in different parts of the world(i.e. Cambodia, Kenya…) I am going to miss them so much but I so incredibly excited to see what God does in and through them, in the next six months. I have been so encouraged by them and I know that others will be as well.

When I return to Guatemala in 10 days, the rest of my team and I will be going into 4 different public schools in Antigua and teaching English using the Bible as our curriculum.  We will also be leading PF Kid’s Club each week, have opportunities to serve at our local Calvary Chapel, have outreaches in town where we share mimes or skits that share the Gospel message, ministering at the local hospital and so much more. I’m so excited for what God is going to do in the next six months. I can’t wait to see the opportunities that He gives me and the situations that will help me grow and become more like Him. Please be praying for me to have flexibility. Also, please just keep IGNITE Class 8 in prayer as we start our field times all over the world.

Thank you so much for your prayers!

By His Grace,


MaKayla <3 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment