Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Matthew 5:18 Inductive Bible Study: Purpose and Righteousness 4/1

Matthew 5:18 says, "For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled."

So I learned from my team/roommates Katie and Brooke that "jot and tittle" are the names for the writing characters in the Hebrew language. So the point that Jesus is making here is that until the heaven and earth pass away, not even a mark in God's Word will change until everything has been fulfilled. All of the prophecies will come to pass. His Word stands firm until the end of the age.

So I think that this is also solidifying what I talked about yesterday. "Hey guys, My Word stands until the heavens and earth aren't around anymore. I'm not taking away the Law. It still has to be fulfilled. And that's what I'm here to do." I think it's not only referring to the prophecies and things that Jesus fulfilled in His lifetime and in His death and resurrection but also to all of the future prophecies that have not come to pass yet, even now.

Ok so, what does this mean for me? Nothing is going to change in God's Word until everything is fulfilled. Every commandment still stands. And I, as His follower am to follow every single one and not just fall back on grace.  Grace and forgiveness aren't there as a convenience to take advantage of whenever I want because I know it will always be there, yet so often I treat them as that. Romans 6:1 says, "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not!"  I should be doing what I can to follow the commandments and repent and receive God's grace and forgiveness when I fail because I am human and I will fail.

Application:
Today, I will pray that I depend on God to follow His commands out of love and not sin just because I know that there is grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment