Tuesday, April 7, 2015

1 Corinthians 9:24 Inductive Bible Study: Discipline 3/24

1 Corinthians 9:24 says, "Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize?  Run in such a way that you may obtain it."

Philippians 3:13-14 says, "Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead. I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

Hebrews 12:1 says, "Therefore, we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us."

Ok so what is the race that Paul is talking about here? It's the Christian life. Everything that I do is either getting me further along in the race or making me fall behind. Paul talked a lot about races. Sports were a big part of the culture back then. Like I talked about last week, in Philippians 3:13, he tells us to forget what's behind and reach toward what's ahead; the prize that we have ahead of us. And I think he said that because he knew that if you're in a race and you look behind you for even a second to see where you've been or to see how the other people in the race are doing, you're going to slow down, lose your pace or go off course.

The author of Hebrews 12:1 also tells us how to run this race. We need to first throw off everything that hinders; that means sin and even just things that weigh us down. Andrew said in a teaching during chapel on this verse a few weeks ago that you don't really see people showing up at a race with baggy clothes, a heavy backpack, and a Big Gulp. Their clothes are going to be tight fitting and helpful for running the race effectively. This verse also says that we need to run the race with endurance. They also work on their form and their breathing and they train.

These verses are telling us how to run the race in a way that we may obtain the prize. The theme this week is discipline. Running a race takes discipline. Living life in a way that you will obtain the prize takes discipline. I have to discipline my thoughts, actions, words and so on in the way of Christ. I can't get lazy or sluggish lest I fall into sin. I have to stay disciplined. The prize is the prize of heaven. This world is hard but it isn't forever. Heaven, though, is eternal. That's what I have to look forward to.

Application:
Today, I will post this verse on my wall by my bed to remind me to stay disciplined in this race so that I may obtain the prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment