Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Matthew 5:16 Inductive Bible Study: Discipline 3/30

Matthew 5:16 says, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify you Father in heaven."

The verses before this are talking about being the light of the world. The world is full of darkness. We don't have to look far to see that. Just turn on your TV or computer or look at your newspaper. Violence and crimes run rampant. Satan is the god of this world. But when we know God, His light shines through us. It is our job to let the light that is in us so shine before men. We are to be the examples that point to Him. I am to be a billboard that declares my Jesus.

What does that look like? We are to love others and do good works so that when they look at us, they see him. So when I do outreaches or missions trips and building houses or I just give a homeless person a sandwich, I'm shining God's light to them. But I should also be asking if I can pray for them, or sharing with them about God's love, because if I only do humanitarian acts and don't share the Gospel, I am making them comfortable on earth for an eternity in Hell. That doesn't mean that I have to convert someone every time I talk to them, but I should at least be planting seeds about Jesus so that other people can water them.

This has been hard for me for most of my life because as I've said in a lot of my previous IBS', I've been worried about what people would think of me or saying the wrong thing and turning someone away from Jesus altogether. I need to just give this fear to God and not rely on myself for the words. It doesn't matter what they think of me and I need to trust that He will give me the right words so that I represent Him well. I need to just step out in faith and trust Him to be faithful. It is just my job to be willing to shine. It's not even my light in the first place.

Application:

I am going to Invite 2 friends to join IGNITE. Also, I'm going to draw a light bulb and write this verse underneath it.

No comments:

Post a Comment