Tuesday, April 7, 2015

1 Corinthians 9:26 Inductive Bible Study: Discipline 3/26

1 Corinthians 9:26 says, "Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air." 

Ok so I run not with uncertainty. So then what does that mean that I do run with? I do have certainty. I know where I'm going. I know what my purpose is. Every step is placed in confidence. Why? Because my purpose is to obtain the prize. That's my focus and goal. There is no reason to have uncertainty. Again, I can't look back because that would make me lose my focus. I have to remain focused and certain. 

"Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air." What does beating the air mean? That would be like purposelessly throwing punches.  That would waste my energy and I'm going to lose because I won't have the energy to last. And so then how do I fight? I need to have committed punches. Every move needs to be on purpose. I need to always have my goal in mind with every punch I throw. I want to win, not just throw as many punches as possible.

Ok so how can I apply this to my life? What are pointless things that I do that don't get me anywhere, but actually waste my energy, that I need to stop doing? I know that when I was at home, I watched really stupid T.V. shows and movies and listened to music that was just pointless. It wasn't helpful, it didn't make me a better person, and it didn't edify God. I need to be more purposeful with the things that I allow into my mind. My perspective on the things that I put in my head has really changed since being here. I have realized that everything effects my thinking so I need to be purposeful in what I watch and listen to. I need to allow things in that are pure, true, lovely, noble, just, of virtue, of good report and so on(Philippians 4:8). Psalm verse?

Application:
Today I'm going to delete the secular music that I still have off of my computer and I am going to try to the best of my ability to keep only listening to Christian music when I am home on my 10 day break. 

No comments:

Post a Comment