Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Matthew 5:19 Inductive Bible Study: Purpose and Righteousness 4/2

Matthew 5:19 says, "Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

So during these last 3 months, our class has been IBSing the book of Jude. Jude is all about false prophets in the church and how to discern them and not listen to them and not be like them. I just finished with this assignment over the weekend so naturally, seeing this verse made me think of Jude. I think this is pretty straight forward but so many people get go against this. Also during training, we've been studying books and watching documentaries about knowing what we believe but also knowing what others believe so that we can understand their views better when we talk to them.

This makes me think of one documentary that we watched about evolutionists and how they are stopping even the mentioning of an Intelligent Designer from being allowed to be mentioned in universities and elsewhere. I used to think that these people knew the truth but they were just trying to hide it from everyone else and brainwash everyone so that no one can know God and the hope that is found in Him. But I have now realized that sadly these people are really just lost. They don't realize how astray they are leading everyone. They were probably hurt in their past by a Christian or something happened that they blamed God for so they are just grasping for anything else that they can hold onto that doesn't point them to God. And they want everyone to believe it too so it validates them. It's really sad but it's reality.

So my job is not to condemn or rebuke them but to leave that to God. Even Michael the archangel didn't rebuke Satan but said, "Let the Lord rebuke you!" (Jude). My purpose is to show them love and compassion so that they'll actually want to hear what I have to say. I need to know what I believe and make sure that it is so grounded in the Word so that when I talk to them, I actually have a strong defense for the Word. I need to make sure that I am following the commandments completely to the best of my ability so that I am an example to nonbelievers because if I don't even follow what I am teaching then why should they? It doesn't matter what it is, how "small" of a sin I think that it is. Every commandment carries the same power.

Application:

Today, I will memorize this verse.

No comments:

Post a Comment