Tuesday, April 7, 2015

1 Corinthians 9:27 Inductive Bible Study: Discipline 3/27

1 Corinthians 9:27 says, "But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.

I need to discipline every part of my life. I need to discipline my thoughts, hands, feet, eyes, ears and so on. I have been learning this concept of discipline and bringing into subjection for my thoughts especially. My thoughts impact my actions so I need to make sure that they are disciplined. 2 Corinthians 10:4-6 talk about how to fight in the war we're in: "For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled." I need to take my thoughts captive and bring them to the obedience of Jesus. I can't let myself dwell on things that aren't edifying to me or to God.

Matthew 5:29-30 talks about if one part of your body causes you to sin, like an eye or a hand for example, get rid of that part because it's better that you lose that part then for your whole body to go to hell. I want to have every part of my body disciplined so that it isn't stumbled by anything but under complete subjection.

"Lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified." I need to have myself completely under control so that when others see my actions or hear my words, I wouldn't be misguiding them. I need to be disciplined, especially when I'm teaching or being an example to others because I never want God to have to put me "on a shelf" where I'm not able to be used anymore because I misrepresented Him and His truths.

Application:
This weekend, I will write "Take your thoughts captive" on my arm.

No comments:

Post a Comment