Monday, September 14, 2015

Where Is Your Faith? Luke 8:22-25

Luke 8:22-25 says,
“Now it happened, on a certain day, that He got into a boat with His disciples. And He said to them, 'Let us cross over to the other side of the lake.'And they launched out. But as they sailed He fell asleep. And a windstorm came down on the lake, and they were filling with water, and were in jeopardy. And they came to Him and awoke Him, saying, 'Master, Master, we are perishing!' Then He arose and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water. And they ceased, and there was a calm. But He said to them, 'Where is your faith?'And they were afraid, and marveled, saying to one another, 'Who can this be? For He commands even the winds and water, and they obey Him!'”

This past Saturday, we had a Women’s Bible Study at church and part of what was shared was about God's faithfulness and trustworthiness. At one point, Miss Karol said something about how the Lord has never left us or let us go so why do we fear? Why don't we trust Him? He's brought us this far, why would He leave us now? This was very convicting to me because only a few hours before this, I had mentioned to the girls on my team how fearful I am of the future because it's so unsure. Well I've been reading through Luke in my personal devotions and so Sunday morning, I read the above passage in Luke 8 and I was convicted even more. Let me explain.

So Jesus' disciples had been with Him for a good amount of time by this point. They had seen miracle upon miracle and listened to so many sermons and parables of His. They have been walking right beside the Son of God and then they get on this boat and entered a storm. They should have realized that this storm was so not a big deal for Jesus. In reality they had nothing to fear. They were with Jesus, for goodness sake! Didn't they remember all that He had done so far??? But there they were, only seeing the storm in front of them and freaking out, convinced that they were about to die. So then they wake up Jesus, informing Him of their seemingly imminent death. But for Jesus, He just calms the storm like it's just another day and asks them where their faith is. “Hello, haven't you seen me perform miracles on a regular basis? Don't you remember who I am? Why do you fret? Why can't you trust me?”

So my first thoughts after reading this are that the disciples are ridiculous and foolish for being scared. But then I remember my fear. “Um, Hello Mak, you've experienced God's faithfulness. You've seen the miracle that He has done with your life. You've seen what He can do with messes and wrecks. And yet you are currently fearful for your future. You doubt that the Lord is going to take care of you and provide. You doubt His capability. You doubt His power and sovereignty. Who are you to judge those who doubt?” Okay, point taken. Those things happening one right after the other was clearly the Lord responding to my admitted fear. “Where is your faith, beloved? Remember Who I am. Remember my promises and my faithfulness. I know what I'm doing.” So realizing all of this, I can now look at this passage that Miss Karol shared on Saturday as a reminder instead of not believing that it applies to me.

Proverbs 3:25-26 says,
“Do not be afraid of sudden terror,
Nor of trouble from the wicked when it comes;
For the Lord will be your confidence,
And will keep your foot from being caught.”

God is good. He is faithful. I am so thankful for what hes done in the last 8 months and I am excited to just lean on Him in this new phase of life. Things seem uncertain but I know that this is where He has called me so I am stepping out in faith knowing that He is there and will never leave me.


My application for this week is to give my insecurities and fears to Jesus and take time to journal about what He has done in my life and the reminders of His faithfulness. Also to journal the Scriptures that He has laid on my heart to remind me that He holds my future and that there is nothing to fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment