Wednesday, September 9, 2015

So Good to Me... Psalm 40:1-3

Psalm 40:1-3 says,
“I waited patiently for the Lord; And He inclined to me,
And heard my cry. He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, Out of the miry clay,
And set my feet upon a rock, And established my steps. He has put a new song in my mouth—
Praise to our God; Many will see it and fear, And will trust in the Lord.”

So we have chapel every Thursday night here in Guatemala. Some of the girls that usually lead worship love this song called, “So Good to Me” and so it gets played often. Well, that song came pretty directly out of this passage in Psalm 40. I love this song but I don't really think about what it says often enough. So when I read this in my morning devotions the other day, I was hit afresh with the deep significance of what David is saying here.

Okay, I have sinned a lot in my life. I sin everyday. But last year, I had dug the most horrible pit of sin for myself. I was living a life of ugly and dirty bold-faced hypocrisy. I got to the point eventually where I was convinced that God didn't want to hear from me. I had a relationship with Him but I chose to walk away from Him, knowing what He had done for me on the cross, so therefore I was sure that He must have hated me. But then for some reason, knowing the cry of my heart, God picked me up out of that mess that I had put myself in. I have been washed in Jesus' blood and made perfect in His sight. This year, He set me upon a rock and has established my steps. To establish means to set up on a firm or permanent basis. This is what He has done! My path was so unsteady and broken and He picked me up and off of that way and made my steps firm and my path permanent. As a result of all of this, He has given me a new song of gratefulness. The only song I had before was of self pity and misery and now I don't feel content without praising the One who has brought me here. I know that this new life that I have wasn't given to me for me to live however I want but to always be able to tell others of what He has done for me.


My application for this week is to remember to be so thankful for what God has done for me. When I get frustrated or tired I need to remember the grace and love that has been given to me and praise Him for it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment