Friday, March 13, 2015

Philippians 2:7 Inductive Bible Study Adaptability 2/26

Philippians 2:5-6 say, "Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God,"

Philippians 2:7 says, "but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men."

Ok so I'm going to put today's verse together with yesterday's to help it make more sense.

Yesterday, I talked about how Jesus was fully God and fully man. He wasn't robbing by saying He was equal with God because He was. Okay, now to add on verse 7. Even though He was completely equal with God, He made Himself of no reputation. He humbled Himself to the form of a bondservant. A bondservant isn't just someone who has to be a servant. A bondservant is someone who chooses to be a servant. Jesus chose to serve us. He chose us. He came in our likeness. He walked like us. Talked like us. Looked like us. We can never say that God doesn't understand what we go through; our trials, pains, temptation. Yes He does! Just because He was God doesn't mean that the devil left Him alone or that He was invincible to hard times. He was tempted; He was just able to resist the temptation and go through it without sinning. He endured more pain than many of us ever will.

Jesus was God. He could have come as a great King. He could have been wealthy. He could have come however He wanted. But the God that created the universe came as a baby. The son of a handyman. He wasn't rich. His looks were plain. He was born in a manger surrounded by animals. He never boasted about Himself even though He had every right. So who am I to boast? If the King of kings can do this, why can't I? How dare I seek attention for myself? He deserved everything and humbled Himself to nothing and I deserve nothing and I look for my own glory in everything. Jesus is my example. I want to, as these verses say, have the same mind as Christ. I want to understand humility in the way that He portrayed and lived it. Even though He is God, He made Himself nothing, served us and related to us. I know that I get caught up in myself so often. "Hey, look at me! I'm a missionary in a foreign country!" "Hey, look at me! I'm serving my enemies and loving my neighbors!" Ok… and? That's what I'm called to do. Why do I feel like I should get noticed? Jesus was perfect and died for our sins. He was God and never called attention upon Himself.

In John 13:16, Jesus said, "Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him." If Jesus can serve me, I who am so unworthy, than I certainly can humble myself to serve Him and others.

Matthew 6:3-4 says, "But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly." Something that I struggle with is doing something nice for someone without drawing attention to it. I just want to be noticed. But that is not at all the heart or mind of Christ. I want to be humble and serve like Christ. Christ made himself of no reputation when he deserved to be treated like the King of kings that He is. If He can do that, then I can certainly love and serve without drawing attention to myself.

Application:  

Today, I am going to post a piece of paper with Matthew 6:3-4 on it on my bedpost so that I remember what my mindset should be when I serve others.

No comments:

Post a Comment