Saturday, January 31, 2015

Romans 13:10 Inductive Bible Study Devotional: Love 1/28

Romans 13:10 says, "Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law."

Galatians 5:14-15 says, "For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another."

Philippians 2:3-4 says, "Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others."

Colossians 3:12 says, "Therefore as God's chosen people, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience."

We live in a selfish world. Everyone cares about their own wants and never even for a second considers someone else's needs before their own. We do what we want without ever giving a second thought to how it could effect someone else. We are human. We are broken. We are selfish. This also means that hurting others is part of our nature.

Jesus was our perfect example of love. He had all the power of heaven on His side but even while being mocked, wrongfully accused, beaten and ultimately crucified by the people he was doing it for, He never even spoke up against them. He could have stopped it. He could have hurt them back. But He was silent and loving.

Because of Jesus' sacrifice, we are not held under the law. But if we love God, everything that flows from us fulfills the law. Our actions won't fulfill the law because we feel obligated but because we love God and we love each other and our interests line up with God's interests.

I try to think of others first and be loving but when it comes down to it, I have realized that I can be pretty selfish. I love myself a lot. I'm human. I like being at the front of the line. I like being right. I like going first. I like being heard. But if I am loving my neighbor more than myself, it is impossible to be selfish at the same time. If I look out for others needs, interests and wants before my own, I can't be thinking of myself. It just doesn’t work. If I am focused on loving someone, I cannot hurt them. I just can't. If I'm praying for someone, I won't even be able to be frustrated at them.

I don't want to hurt others with my words or my actions. I want to reflect Jesus in everything that I say and do. I want to be a humble servant as He was. He had all the power in the world yet came not to be served but to serve(John 13:). I want to be like that. I want to be like my Jesus.

Application:
Today, I will memorize Colossians 3:12 and I will be praying to be clothed in kindness and humility so that I can uplift others and not tear them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment