Saturday, January 31, 2015

1 John 4:10 Inductive Bible Study Devotional: Love 1/26

1 John 4:10 says, "In this is love, not that we loved God but that He loved us and sent His son to be the propitiation for our sins."

1 John 2:2 says, "And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world."

John 3:16 says, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

1 Peter 5:6-7 says, "Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you."

This is the definition of love, we didn't even love God but that didn't matter; He loved us so much anyways that He sent His only Son to win our favor, to bless and pardon us, simply because He loves us.

So I am a sinner. Shocker, I know. But you see, what absolutely blows my mind is that God loves me. The God of the universe that spoke the world into existence and meticulously designed the human cells and the atmosphere and perfectly positioned the planets, cares about me.(1 Peter 5:7)  I don’t know why, I just know that He does. And what's even more amazing is that He loved me first. He knew that I would sin. He knew that I would fall away from Him, even when I knew that He loved me. But still He chose to love me and to give up His one and only Son to forgive my sins.

I cannot even express how much this humbles me. But still I mess up all the time. I trip and fall. And He keeps on loving. He keeps on caring. He keeps on forgiving. And this isn't just a promise for me. This is for the whole world! I can't do anything to be worthy of the love that He has given me. It doesn't matter how much I serve or give or lay down my life, I wouldn't be able to earn this perfect love, yet He gives it so freely.

See what great love the Father has lavished on us that we should be called Children of God! (1 John 3:1) How unworthy am I to be called a child of God? But get this, God's Son was given as a gift to remove His wrath from me(propitiation). It was explained to me like this: Imagine two cliffs and on one cliff is God and on the other cliff is me. There is a huge gap in the middle and there is no way for me to get across to God. But then Jesus steps in as the bridge so that I can get to God. He lays down His life so that I can be forgiven and have eternal life. How insane is that? 

So, God has this great love for me but I have a hard time loving my friends over really petty things like when they leave hair in the drain. How selfish am I? What gives me the right to be upset over that? I want to agape love like my Daddy loves. I want to get to be able to honestly say that I would lay down my life for someone no matter what they have done to me.(John 15:13)

Application:

Today, I am going to write down 1 John 4:10 and 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 on pieces of paper and tape them to the inside of my wardrobe so that every time I open it, I am reminded of God's amazing love for me and how I am supposed to love others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment