Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Be Steadfast in All Your Ways... Proverbs 4:25-27

Proverbs 4:25-27 says,
“Let your eyes look straight ahead;
fix your gaze directly before you.
Give careful thought to the paths for your feet
and be steadfast in all your ways.
Do not turn to the right or the left;
keep your foot from evil.” 

I get easily distracted. I get bored or scared or nervous or many other things and I let myself veer off of what I am supposed to be focused on. I am in a year long program which means that at this point, at least the next 5 months are pretty decided. I don't know the detail of what will happen in these next five months but I do know that I have dedicated this year to getting closer to Jesus and serving in whatever ways He has for me while I am in this program. After that, I really have no idea what God has for me. I have ideas and plans but nothing is firmly decided or set in stone. I don't know for sure where I will be or what I will be doing a year from now. Quite honestly, that scares me. But I keep having to go back to the fact that God has me. He knows me and He knows the plans He has for me. He made me and has prepared good works for me before the beginning of time that He desires me to walk in(Eph 2:10). 

So lately I've been fretting about things. “Lord, what am I going to be doing after IGNITE?” “Where am I going to be living and am I going to have a car?” “God, when am I going to get married and to who???” “Jesus, how are things going to work out?” I think God probably just looks at me and shakes His head, thinking, “If she would only trust me and focus on what I have for her to do right now. I'm holding her and I know exactly how everything is going to play out.”  So this morning, I read this passage and it smacked me upside the head. “Mak, stop fretting. Stop getting distracted. Stop trying to make your own plans. Focus on today. Focus on where you are right now. Focus on the opportunities that you have right now.” In our commitment statement that we made as a class during training, we wrote that one of our goals was to “be where we are and commit to where we are sent.” That means to focus on the ministry and the people and the team that God has put me in right now. If I just focus on where He has me and the path He has me on right now, all the other things will work out. God laughs when I make plans so I might as well quit trying. He knows so much better than I do because He see everything start to finish whereas I only see what's going on right now. 

I also need to make sure that I don't get bored or lazy and instead of looking straight ahead at the path that God has me on right now, start to veer off into sin. “I would rather focus on this over here. I would rather see what would happen if I did this.” I need to be steadfast; immovable. Determined and focused to stay in God's will for me. 

My application this week is to draw a picture of what this verse means to me and put it on my wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment