Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Trying to Grasp a Perfect Love - John 15:9

John 15:9 says,
“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.”

I never actually realized it until this week, but when I think of God, I project a human image onto Him that isn't biblical. I picture someone who rolls their eyes and sighs when I confess that I have sinned, yet again. “Okay, MaKayla, I forgive you again but this is really getting old...” I picture Him getting tired of my mistakes. I think that humanly, this is an image that I can understand. Most people can only forgive so much before they just get sick of the other person's mess ups. But, oh how wrong it is for me to think that is how my Savior responds to me.

I don't have the right picture of who God is because I don't fully understand His love for me. Jesus says, “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you.” The Father loves the Son with a perfect love. We are loved with that same perfect love. That blows my mind. It is so hard for me to grasp a perfect love and to understand that that is what I receive. I am broken and messy and, at times, I have fallen so far away from God. There's no way that I deserve a perfect love. But that's the point. That's grace. I don't deserve this love but He pours it out on me anyway. I can't earn it and I can't mess up so badly that I would no longer be able to receive it. This love is too much for our human minds to even comprehend.

 Since last weekend, I have been overwhelmed with the reminder and realization of how loved I am. I haven't disappointed Him. I could never be too far that His love can't reach me.

I serve a Wonderful God that doesn't get sick of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment